Customer Success Tracks
Customer Success Tracks are our playbooks designed to help you take your customer support to the next level.
Based on Gorgias's experience working with over 9,000 ecommerce merchants, these best practices will set your team up for success, streamline agent workflows, and provide your customers with exceptional service.
What is included?
There are 5 simple to-do lists for you and your team to review. Each track is focused on a key area of customer support. Within each track, you'll find a checklist of simple tasks to complete.
By completing these tasks, you will be able to:
- Identify trending support issues 💡
- Assist customers faster ⏱
- Improve team productivity 🚀
- Improve customer satisfaction 😃
- Turn customer support into a profit center 💸
Note : If you are an Advanced or Enterprise customer, feel free to contact your Gorgias Success Manager and we'll guide you through these best practices in detail.
Track 1: Discovery 💡
Identify your most frequently asked questions (FAQs) and trending issues
Gorgias tags allow you to label, sort, and flag tickets, helping your team keep track of the topics your customers are contacting you about. Tags add additional information to tickets which can then be used in Views, Macros, Rules, or Reporting purposes.
Create a Tagging System
• Use upper-case letters for primary tags and lower-case letters for secondary tags. For example, adding not only [REFUND] but also a [damaged/defective] tag to a ticket provides additional detail to your customer's issue.
• Also, consider using different colors to group similar tag categories. For example, all returns/exchanges should be one color, order-status inquiries another, product-related questions another, and so on.
Setup "Auto Tag" rules
Review your Top 10 Tags
• This will help you understand why your customers are contacting you, what the most common issues are, and will give you clues on how you can improve your customer experience (ex. shipping delays, quality issues, product defects, etc.).
Review tickets without Tags
Review your message intents
• At the beginning of every month, go to Statistics > Automations > Intents and run a 30 day report. Now, compare your top 10 message intents to your top 10 tags. Are you noticing any similar trends?
Brainstorm and discuss with your team
• Encourage teammates to add new tag ideas to your team's tag spreadsheet preferably in a new tab, which you'll review during your next meeting. Approve or reject these tags and update your team accordingly on any new updates.
Make Tagging a requirement!
• Refer to the above section "Review tickets without Tags" to identify teammates who aren't tagging tickets.
Track 2: Speed ⏱
Decrease your First Response Time (FRT) and Resolution Times (RT)
Create Teams in Gorgias
Determine which "Views" teammates or teams are responsible for
Setup "Auto-Assign" Rules
• Here are examples of the most commonly used macros formatted for both email and chat.
• Based on your most FAQs, Tags, and Message Intents, create a set of macros unique to your brand.
• Need ideas? For a list of common Customer Support scripts used by other e-commerce brands, see sample scripts.
• Gorgias also offers bi-weekly, live Macro Workshops where our team will discuss the most effective and create macros that other ecommerce brands are using today!
• The top Gorgias brands achieve first response times of ~10 minutes and resolution times of <60 minutes by focusing on macro usage. A healthy team goal is 40-50%. We can't emphasize using them enough! 🚀
Create "Auto-Reply" Rules
• However, please note : messages sent by auto-reply rules technically do not reduce your "First Response Time" under your Gorgias Statistics, as Gorgias measures the median time between the first message sent by a customer and the first response sent from an agent, but will still facilitate conversations between you and your customer.
Create an Team "First Response Time" goal
Setup your Automation Add-On
Bonus! Gorgias Keyboard Shortcuts
Staff your team according to your busiest hours
Sort your views from "oldest to newest".
Use "Quick Replies"
Consider Subject Matter Experts (SMEs)
Create an internal "Resolution Time" team goal
See our "SLA Best Practices for Effective Support Tickets Management"
• Once you have an SLA, consider creating views to monitor any tickets falling outside of your agreed upon service level agreement (SLA). Example:
Track 3: Efficiency 🚀
Create "Auto-Close" Rules
Install "Self-Service" Live Chat
Add new "Integrations"
• Fact : our most successful brands utilize more than 12 Gorgias integrations!
• Click here to learn more!
Create follow-up "Macros"
• Here are examples of the most commonly used macros formatted for both email and chat. For a list of common Customer Support scripts used by other e-commerce brands, see sample scripts.
• Gorgias also offers bi-weekly, live Macro Workshops where our team discusses the most effective and create macros other ecommerce brands use today!
• The top Gorgias brands achieve first response times of ~10 minutes and resolution times of <60 minutes by focusing on macro usage. A strong team goal is 40-50%.
• Track your team's Macro % usage by going to Statistics > Automations > Macros.
Track your team's performance using "Statistics"
Average First Response Time:
• This customer support metric tracks how long it takes for you to reply to the first message in a ticket. Inside of Gorgias, you can track your average first response time using visual statistics reports that make it easy to spot trends, changes, and issues.
Average Resolution Time:
• The average resolution time refers to how long it takes for your customer service team to resolve tickets, with at least one response from an agent (or a rule).
Tickets Closed Per Agent:
• You might also want to measure the number of tickets closed per agent for a certain time period. Look at the number of tickets each agent is closing per day to spot differences in productivity. You could look at a longer period of time, such as per month, to find which agents are consistently closing more tickets, assuming they each work the same number of hours. This will help you discover the agents who deserve praise and bonuses, and which ones might need training. If you find an agent that is consistently underperforming, it may be time to let them go unfortunately.
• Creating templated responses saves a lot of time. You can get statistics on the utilization of your Macros in any given time period. You can then compare this to the use of tags. For example, if the tag “Cancel Order” was used 100 times in one week, but the Macro was only used 50 times, then that means that your reps only used the Macro half the time. Talk with your reps about why they’re underutilizing certain Macros. You might need to improve the copy of the Macros or add more variables to make it more useful. Or, you might simply need to remind new reps about the Macros feature.
• Customers love when can get their issues resolved with a single reply. The single-reply resolution rate (aka. One-Touch %) calculates what percentage of your tickets are handled with the first reply. It’s also known as the first contact resolution rate or FCR.
Due to the prevalence of working from home, this real-time feature provides transparency to managers on the daily activity of the team: the workload of your agents at any given moment, how long they have been online and their current status (available or offline).
Setup your Automation Add-On
• Brands deflect up to 20% of their support volume with the Automation Add-on enabled!
• Includes features: Quick Answer Flows 💬 , Custom Order Management Flows 💬, Advanced Tracking Details 📦, Help Center with Self-Service Flows 🚀, Email Automation rules ⚙️, and Self-Service Statistics 📊.
• Talk to your Gorgias Success Manager for more information or contact [email protected] if you're a Basic/Pro customer. Here's a video preview:
Still struggling? Contact your Gorgias Success Manager!
• Gorgias can also help analyze what type of tickets are generally taking your team the longest to resolve with the highest total message count. Our goal is to help you increase the % of One-Touch tickets (tickets closed with only one response by an agent or rule).
• If you're struggling with team staffing, Gorgias will introduce you to our trusted Customer Support Partner network. Our Gorgias partners offer temporary, contract, or long-term hiring solutions.
• If you need help evaluating or implementing other e-commerce tools (ex. order & inventory management, returns/exchange management, email + SMS marketing, shipment tracking, subscriptions, loyalty, analytics, etc.), let us know. We'll make warm introductions to our certified Partner network. Alternatively, you can fill out this short form.
Track 4: Delight 😃
Improve your Customer Satisfaction Scores (CSAT)
Enable "Satisfaction Survey"
Understand the difference between Snooze &amp;amp;amp; Close actions in Gorgias
• Alternatively, snooze a ticket when you want to temporarily close a ticket without triggering the satisfaction survey. This is typically used when you're waiting on a customer's response.
Offer discount, promo codes, or refund shipping for loyal, repeat, or dissatisfied customers
Improve your satisfaction survey response rates
• Here's an example:
Install Gorgias Live Chat!
• Click here for more information and setup instructions.
Review your product issues
• Review your damaged orders (or tickets with an "order/damaged" message intent) within Gorgias to identify SKUs, warehouse issues, or shipping issues affected by damages.
Find the right CSAT benchmark
Track 5: Profit 💸
Turn your Support team into a profit center
Setup "Auto-Tag" Rules to identify VIPs, website leads, social leads, etc.
• Auto-Tag VIP customers
• Auto Tag Social Leads
Install Gorgias Live Chat!
• "In a 2009 article, eMarketer showed studies finding that live chat could contribute to 36% of online purchases, and fully 62% of those who chatted said they were more likely to buy from a site again."
• Many case studies show that live chat helps ecommerce merchants reduce first response time, boost customer experience, drive leads, and increase sales revenue.
• Click here for more information and live chat setup instructions.
• Gorgias also explains in this article how pre-sales support can grow your business and turn your support team into a revenue generating center.
Install "Quick Answer Flows"
Install "Chat Campaigns"
Understand when your customers are most active on your website
Monitor Sales Generated from Support
Develop a Sales Commission Plan
Train teammates to upsell, cross-sell, suggest bundles, and offer bulk discounts
• Synced with your Shopify account(), use our new product picker to quickly send product links to your customers during conversations.
• Reminder - you can create new Shopify orders directly within Gorgias in the right sidebar! Simply click on "Create order". Now, you can add existing products via the search input, add custom items, apply a discount code, change quantities, add a note, add tags, apply a global discount, add shipping, and charge taxes (or not). Then, you can choose to create the order as paid or pending. You can also choose to email the invoice to your customer. You can then type a custom message for your customer.
E-commerce customer service can make or break your business. Rightfully so, a lot of attention is given to product development, marketing, and customer loyalty. But without great customer service, all of those efforts can crumble.
We hope you found these tips and best practices helpful!
If you have any questions, reach out to your Gorgias Success Manager or to us at [email protected]!