How to merge customers?
When Gorgias automatically suggests merge
Sometimes a customer reaches out from two different email addresses and you need to merge the two different profiles. Gorgias automatically suggests some merges but you will have to confirm the merge.
- Click on merge on the right sidebar.
- Select which data you want to keep from each profile. The fields in blue will be kept.
- Click on the green button merge users .
When Gorgias does not suggest any merge
Sometimes Gorgias does not suggest automatically the merge. In this case you can merge the profiles manually.
- When you are in the ticket, in the right search bar, search for the email address of the customer you want to merge with.
- Click on his profile.
- Click on merge.
- Follow the steps in the video above.
How to 'unmerge' customers
The process of merging customers is actually irreversible. Still, you can actually do this on your end, it just requires a bit of manual work. Here are the steps:
- Locate the "merged customer" - this customer will be under one name, but have two or more emails and possibly other data.
- Determine which data belongs to one customer, which to the other.
- Remove all data (name, email, phone, etc) associated with one customer from the customer profile (I recommend saving the info somewhere as you will need it later) and save the customer - it should now contain one name, email, etc only.
- Create the other customer with the data you saved.
- Go into the edited customer and make sure to manually set the customer on all tickets where the customer is set incorrectly.
ex. If the same customer reaches out to you via two different email addresses, and they have order history under both email addresses, even this is indeed same customer, those two profiles cannot be merged. This is because Shopify does not allow merging customers, so we can't associate those two Shopify profiles with the same person without causing issues.