How to Import Zendesk Tickets
You’ve made the decision to transform the way your organization executes support. Now it’s time to implement that change. Here are the steps and resources required for successfully launching Gorgias with a Zendesk import. Please note that we can only import about 2,500 tickets per hour from Zendesk. Therefore, if there is a lot of Zendesk data, the import can take a few days.
Please follow the instructions outlined in the order below.
Enable channels in Gorgias
Enable any channels you would like to use in Gorgias (email, live chat, social). Instructions for each channel are below:
Go to Settings > Integrations > Email > Add email
- For Direct Integration: Connecting your support email via direct integration
- For Forwarding: How to set up email forwarding
Go to Settings > Integrations > Chat > Add chat. For more context, you can check this article!
Go to Settings > Integrations > Facebook, Messenger & Instagram > Login Facebook. More info to be found here or check our video below!
Disable Channels in Zendesk
Disable any channels you have set up in Zendesk. The instructions for each channel are below.
Open Settings > Channels > Email > Select "firstname.lastname@example.org" > Change this address to default email > Delete all other email connections.
- Go to native email settings (Gmail, Outlook, etc.) and disable any forwarding to Zendesk that is toggled on (please ask your email admin for help on this)
Settings > Channels > Deactivate any connected social media platforms
- Create a Zendesk trigger: "Auto-close social tickets with a new message from the customer"
- Respond & close all social tickets in Zendesk
- Deactivate Facebook in Zendesk
Contact Form / Chat / Help Center
Settings > Admin icon > Channels > Widget > Customization > Flip switch to toggle off
If flipping the switch doesn't disable the widgets on your website, you can also remove the Zendesk code. Search for the Zendesk code in the theme.liquid section of your website's code.
- Here are the Zendesk instructions with more detail
Deactivate all Zendesk triggers
- If you have automation to send a Satisfaction survey, disable it too
Import Zendesk Data
Since channels are enabled in Gorgias and disabled in Zendesk, you can start working out of Gorgias right away! The previous 2 weeks of Zendesk ticket history are imported first to ensure the most important information is available within a few hours. The rest of the two years of ticket history can take anywhere from 1-2 days to import.
- Go to Settings > Import Data > Enter Zendesk information > Start Import
- Please use this doc to find the Zendesk API
How does import work?
- Gorgias imports Macros, Users, and Tickets from Zendesk. Macros are the first item to import.
- The previous 2 weeks of ticket history are imported first. The rest are imported starting from 2 years in the past and ending when we reach the 2-week mark imported previously.
- There are 2 ticket statuses in Gorgias: open & closed. Open means you need to treat the ticket, closed means you're done with it.
- Pending Zendesk tickets come into Gorgias as closed, but they are tagged as pending automatically. Therefore, you can create a view to see those pending tickets (more info on views here: https://docs.gorgias.com/video-tutorials/organizing-and-creating-views)
- On-hold, solved & closed Zendesk tickets will all be imported as closed Gorgias tickets. Channels will be imported as well, (i.e. a closed Facebook Zendesk ticket will come in as a closed Facebook ticket in Gorgias as well)
- Depending on the amount of data, it sometimes can take several days to import ticket history. We import about 2,500 tickets per hour.
After the import is finished
- Resolve and close any imported Zendesk tickets that are open in Gorgias.
- Start working in Gorgias!
Frequently asked questions
- Can I use Zendesk and Gorgias at the same time?
Yes, you can operate both helpdesks in parallel. More info on that here: https://docs.gorgias.com/migrating-helpdesks/using-gorgias-and-zendesk
- Can I import more than once for the same Zendesk account?
No, you can only do one import per Zendesk domain.
- Can I import multiple Zendesk accounts into one Gorgias account?
Yes, you can! However, you will have to wait for the first one to be completed before you do additional imports.
- Can I import the last 2 years of my Gmail emails before importing Zendesk?
You can, but we do not recommend it. If you import Gmail before Zendesk, there will be discrepancies between open/closed tickets and some messages will be not imported properly. Please do the Zendesk import and then import your emails to avoid any inconsistencies.
- Do my ongoing conversations with customers have to pause during the Zendesk import time?
Yes, you will have to pause any conversations until those tickets are imported. Since the first 2 weeks are imported first, the pause on these tickets should not be too long (2-3 hours).
- Is it OK if I delete all my imported tickets in Gorgias and run another import to start fresh?
No, you can only do one import per Zendesk domain.
- How can I make sure my open Zendesk tickets that are just imported don't get mixed up with other tickets in Gorgias so I can quickly address those?
You can tag your open tickets with a unique name in Zendesk before you start importing. After the import is completed, you can easily create a view and find your tickets by the tag name.
- I've turned off all the channels in Zendesk and completed the import. Why do I still receive tickets in Zendesk?
Most likely this is because you have not disabled forwarding to Zendesk in your email account. Please log into your email account and disable email forwarding to Zendesk.