Instagram Direct Messages
The Instagram Direct Message channel lets you receive and reply to Instagram direct messages and story mentions from within Gorgias.
How it works
When a customer mentions you in an Instagram story or sends you a Direct Message via Instagram, we will create a ticket in Gorgias. This ticket will not only contain the latest message that the customer sent you, but it'll also contain the DM history that you have with the user as well of up to 50 DMs.
You can respond to this message the same way you respond to chat or Facebook Messenger tickets. For example:
As of August 16th, all Instagram business accounts, regardless of follower count, can have access to Instagram Direct Messages.
If your account is not on a legacy plan then you will automatically be granted access to Instagram Direct Messages.
To check if you are on a legacy plan, visit your Facebook integration settings. If your settings do not include the Upgrade button shown below, then you are not on a legacy plan.
You can add an Instagram Direct Message integration through your Facebook integration. Just follow the instructions below:
- In Instagram Business messenger, go to Settings → Privacy → Messages and make sure your Allow Access to Messages setting is set to Active if it is not, then toggle it to active.
- In Gorgias, go to Settings → Integrations → Facebook, Messenger & Instagram and click on desired Facebook page
- Click the green Reconnect button. This will take you to a Facebook page and ask you to reconnect the account again, so an admin of the Facebook page must do this step.
- Check the Enable Instagram direct message checkbox and click Save changes.
Once you save the integration updates, you should start receiving Instagram Direct Message tickets immediately.
- After following these instructions, you should see one of two options on your Enable Instagram direct message settings page.
Access Granted: Account meets follower requirements and is not on a legacy plan
Access Denied: Account is on a legacy plan
Responding to Instagram Comments via Direct Message
You can also privately respond to an Instagram comment, which will create a new Instagram Direct message ticket in Gorgias.
To do so, open an Instagram comment ticket, hover over the customer's message, and select the Direct message button, which is pictured below.
Selecting this button will open a pop-up text editor, which you must use to write out your first response and initiate the Instagram Direct message conversation.
The new ticket will be populated with a "Respond to an Instagram Comment" event, which will include the comment you were responding and a link to the Instagram comment ticket where you initiated the conversation. It will also include the Instagram Direct message response from the previous step.
The rest of the conversation will take place on the new Instagram Direct message ticket and will function the same as any other Instagram Direct message ticket.
We do not yet support the following types of DM content:
- Real time DMs
- History import DMs
Click here to view our Instagram Direct Messages FAQs.