Macros are pre-made responses you can use to respond to your customers faster. They are especially useful if a large number of your customers tend to ask similar things or comment on similar topics.
How it works
Macros can perform a number of actions on a ticket including:
- Insert response text: insert text into the response area. You can include variables such as the customer's first name
- Set subject: change the subject of the ticket
- Add tags
- Add an attachment (10MB file size limit)
- Set status as 'open' or 'closed'
- Auto-snooze a ticket (more on the new auto-snooze feature in the video tutorial below)
- Set assignee
- HTTP actions: trigger webhooks in other applications (such as refunding a customer on Stripe)
To insert a macro in a ticket, click on "search macros" in the reply area, and select the macro you want to insert!
Here's how to create a macro:
- Go to any ticket
- In the reply area, click on Search macro by name
- Click on Manage Macros on the right of the preview panel, this opens the Manage macros page
- Click on Create macro
- Name your macro, and type the pre-made response in the Set response text area
- *Optional: add an action, like editing a Shopify order or adding a tag (see more on macro actions here)
- Click the green Create macro button at the bottom right
It is possible to manage your macros outside of your tickets too, by accessing the Macros page through Settings.
This will give you the ability to monitor usage in a single place while giving you the same customization abilities. You will be able to create (1.), duplicate (2.), and delete macros (3.) from the same page.
By default the macros are organized by created date/time on this page, the oldest macros displayed first. You can change this by clicking right next to the Macro column to change the order to alphabetical. Clicking on the little arrow that appears again will change the order to reverse-alphabetical.
If you want them listed by usage count, simply click next to the Usage Count column. The same goes for Last Updated.
Still not fast enough? We have two additional macro features for you to help you maximize your efficiency!
Navigate over to your profile settings as shown below and under Preferences you will find two options:
- Display macros by default on emails
This option will open up the macros panel automatically every time you open a ticket.
- Display macros suggestions in message editor
This feature will display the top 3 suggested macros for the specific ticket that you're about to reply to based on our own machine learning powered recommendation engine.
Take a look at our quick video guides on macros below for more information on how to get the most out of this feature:
- If a client has multiple support email addresses integrated and they have "Apply macro" action set in their rules, which email address will be used in the "From" field?
When the macro is used in bulk, it will behave exactly the same way as if an agent sent the message on their own while responding to tickets.
- How can macros get sorted?
Macros are sorted automatically by relevance using artificial intelligence.
- Can the note be added to the customer's Shopify profile without creating a ticket?
It can be easily created using a webhook.
More on macro actions here!
- Why can't I create/update a macro? The system is coming up with an error.
You may have reached the limit! In Gorgias, at least for now, you can create up to 5000 macros.
Another reason could be that, for example, if you set up your macro to add certain tags and left the tags field empty, the system will come up with an error and won't let you save until the field is fulfilled.
- How are macro recommendations made?
Recommendations are based on a mix of machine learning (using text similiarities, text classification) and usage frequency.
- How do we exempt a macro that is rarely used from macro recommendations?
At the moment this is a recommender system (like a Google search page), so it will always recommend something. We are waiting to gather usage information once the macros are in the editor to display certain macros or not.
If you are facing an issue with your macros that isn't covered above, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out to us via our live chat and we'll be happy to troubleshoot for you!