Managing User Roles
In Gorgias, you can add multiple users to your dashboard and assign them specific roles. User roles will allow the Account Owner to adjust access to some parts of your dashboard and actions that they can take within the dashboard.
How it works
Here's how to start managing your users' roles:
- Navigate over to Settings and from the left-hand navigation panel select Users.
- Click 'Add user' in the top right.
- Insert your user's information and select their role. Once you have completed this click 'Add user'. Your new user will now receive an email with a link inviting them to set up their password and log into Gorgias. If you need to edit the user or resend their invitation email go back to step 1 and then click on their name. From here you will be able to make changes and resend the invite.
There are 5 roles enabling you to precisely control users' permissions:
- Observer agent: Able to view customers, tickets and send internal notes.
- Lite agent: Able to modify customers, tickets, and send messages.
- Basic agent: Able to modify customers, tickets, send messages and perform integrations-related actions.
- Lead agent: Able to manage customers, tickets, tags, send messages and perform integrations-related actions.
- Admin: Able to manage everything. (billing info, users, integrations, rules, tickets, customers, etc...)
Below is the complete user permissions table associated with each role. However, please keep in mind that this table applies only to the Web UI, not the API. For example, all users are allowed to list most resources including users, macros, rules with the API. Also, any agent has the ability to create private views. The feature to create shared & public views is only available to Lead agents and Admins.
Transfer account ownership to another user
The Account Owner is established upon account creation with the email address used to configure the account. A Gorgias account can only have one Account Owner. You cannot delete the Account Owner, nor downgrade their role from Admin.
If the Account Owner is no longer with the company and you would like to transfer the ownership, you would need request this by sending us an email to [email protected] and CC the Account Owner as well as all the other Admins. Once the all the Admins confirm and if the Account Owner does not contest this decision, the ownership can be transferred. In case there are no other active Admins on the account or if they do not respond, the case will be reviewed by Gorgias managers.
Only the current Account Owner can transfer the ownership of a Gorgias account to another user. Here's how:
- Navigate over to "Settings" and from the left-hand navigation panel select "Users".
- Click on the user you want to set as the account owner.
- Click on the "Set as account owner" button, and confirm.
Agents self-sign up
Agents can now sign-up by themselves if the option is enabled in your help desk.
You can authorize agents to join the help desk given that their email address come from specific domains.
- In order to enable this feature, go to your help desk settings, and head to the brand new Access management page:
- There, you will find to choose between:
- Invite people manually: Help desk admins must invite agents manually through the settings
- Let people sign up automatically: Agents will now be able to access a new sign-up page in to register by themselves using their own email. To prevent anyone from signing up, it is limited to a given list of domains .
- Once you’re done, you can click the “Save changes” button to save the settings.
- If you enabled self sign-up, users that arrive on the login page will now be shown a new link to sign-up:
- They should click the link and it will redirect them to the register page, where they can create their account:
Please bear in mind that before they can access their newly created account, they will first have to verify their email via the link they receive in their mailbox.
In case that you need to delete a User please follow these steps:
- Go to Settings → Users.
- Click on the User that you need to delete.
- Click the 'Delete User' button in the bottom-right corner.
If you delete a user this action will un-assign this user from all its tickets, open or closed.
And if a user closes a ticket for example, and is subsequently deleted from the account, their name will not be visible in the ticket events section.
Agent knowledge checklist
This checklist provides key functions within Gorgias that users should know, segmented by role.
Use this as a guide to check your knowledge and identify areas for further learning.
I am unable to change my user email - the error message states that the email is already in use, but there are no other users registered with it.
Please make sure that the email address you want to use is not already used in integrations or as a customer email address. A single email address cannot be used as a login email of a Gorgias user and a customer email at the same time. If you do locate a customer under that address, please delete their profile and try changing the email on your user profile once more.