Auto-assign and auto-unassign tickets
With these features you can automate ticket assignment for all of the available agents in your Gorgias account.
How it works
When auto-assignment is enabled, tickets assigned to a team will be automatically assigned to eligible team members.
Team members are considered eligible if they:
- are online
- set their status to 'Available'
- are below one of these assignment limits:
- they have fewer assigned "Chat & Messaging" tickets than the defined limit (3 by default). This includes chat, SMS, Facebook Messenger and Instagram Direct Message channels.
- they have fewer assigned "Other text" ticketsthan the limit (4 by default). This contains all other channels (email, social media posts and comments, API...)
When the auto-assign tickets feature setting is enabled:
- unassigned tickets for selected channels will not appear in the "Chat & Messaging" section of the dashboard on the left. The only tickets in the chat section inside the left sidebar will be the ones assigned to the logged-in user.
You can now directly create a rule assigning tickets to the team you’ve just created.
Up until now, if you wanted to set up auto-assignment for your team you needed to manually access the rules and set up a rule. In order to make this process more straight-forward, we have added a simplified rule creation step in the team creation flow. Once created, the rule is accessible in the rules settings.
In the following example, we auto-assign chat tickets to available users from one of our teams:
1. Create your team and add members to it. You can check out this article for a more detailed guide on that part.
2. A new prompt will appear once you've created the team. Please follow this video tutorial to see how to automatically create a rule to assign tickets to this team:
This option will allow you to have your helpdesk automatically assign incoming tickets to available members of your teams. You can now also determine the limit of possible auto-assigned tickets per agent, as you can see below:
This feature will hopefully help you lower your response time! Your agents will no longer have to hunt down new tickets and aim to address them as quickly as possible. Now they will see them on the dashboard on the left assigned to them (for chat-type tickets) and, in combination with notifications, your FRT will go down in no-time.
The option is found on the path Settings → Ticket assignment. It'll be enabled by default.
This feature is used to automatically:
- unassign a ticket assigned to your agents who are not online or available
- if the ticket has received a reply
You can use it in conjunction with team auto-assignment described above.
Lastly, you can pick which ticket channels will be affected by these features. Perhaps you want to auto-assign chat and DMs only, or maybe just calls or emails. You can set that up here:
I already have more than 4 tickets assigned to me. Why do I keep getting more assigned?
If an agent has 4 or more non-chat tickets assigned to them, they are still eligible to be auto-assigned chat tickets, provided they are under the chat-type ticket limit of 3.
Similarly, if an agent has 3 chat-type tickets assigned to them, they are still available to be auto-assigned non-chat tickets, provided they are under the non-chat limit of 4.
Which tickets does this feature prioritize?
The auto-assign feature prioritizes the oldest ticket created at all times.
What if I want to prioritize chat-like tickets?
The engine considers the “chat-like” and “mail-like” capacity of each agent independently.
If agents want to answer chats first, they will not be assigned more “mail-like” tickets to replace the “chat-like” tickets they’ve closed. They will only be served “chat-like” tickets until there are no unassigned “chat-like” ticket anymore in their team
How does the engine choose the next agent to assign a ticket to?
For each channel group (chat-like, mail-like), the next ticket will be assigned to the agent with the fewest tickets first.
If there’s a tie between multiple agents, the order is random between them
Why can't I access these settings?
Only the users with the Admin role (and the Account Owner) can access the settings page for this feature.
If you prefer your tickets assigned manually, feel free to check out this guide for more tips.