Gorgias Chat - Installation
Using our chat integration is a great way for your customers and leads to connect with your support team in real-time, without the hassle of sending an email and waiting on a reply.
To add the Gorgias Chat widget to your store:
- Add a new chat integration by going to Settings → Integrations → Chat. Click the '+ Add new' button in the top right.
- The next page will prompt you to let us know if you want the chat widget installed on your Shopify store or on some other type of website. If you are installing your chat on an integrated Shopify, pick one of your Shopify stores from the dropdown. There can only be one chat integration per Shopify store. If you are installing your chat on any other website choose the second option.
- Choose your chat's title, Language, introduction text, colors, position and size. Once done simply hit the 'Add New Chat' button.
- The next page will be the Installation page for your chat integration. If you are installing on a Shopify store you can just click the 'Install' button.
Please note that by copying the code to your Shopify theme.liquid files, the chat will be shown on all web pages. I chat code only onto the pages that you want the widget to appear on.
- If you are not installing on a Shopify store, click the arrow next to the 'Custom installation' section at the bottom to expand the custom instructions. Here you can grab the installation code and paste it manually into your store website pages where you want chat to show up.
- If you are using Gorgias Chat in an iOS webview, make sure to add `about:srcdoc` to your webview's `originWhitelist`.
- After Installation, you can configure your chat in the Appearance tab where you can revisit your chat widget's appearance settings. Under the Preferences tab you can adjust your Email Capture feature, your Auto-Responder and connect your email integration to the chat as well. More on that below.
- For Quick Replies, please check out this guide for details.
- For Chat Campaigns please check out this guide for details.
- To manage Self-Service for your chat, go to Settings → Self-Service under 'Automation' and select your chat. Check out this guide for more details on Self-service features and setup.
You are free to add multiple chat integrations. This is especially useful if you are managing several stores in Gorgias.
However, please keep in mind that one store can only have one chat integration installed on it!
Setup instructions for Google Tag Manager
First, let's look into your Gorgias dashboard and find your Chat App ID. Please follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings → Integrations → Chat.
- Pick the integration that you want to connect and then go to Installation → Custom installation → Google Tag Manager.
- You'll find your Chat App ID on step 4. Please copy it.
- Go to your Google Tag Manager, click 'Tags' on the menu.
- Click 'New' to create a new tag.
- Search for 'Gorgias Chat' and select it.
- Enter your Gorgias Chat App ID (the one we grabbed in step 3 above).
- Select 'All Pages - Page view' in the Trigger section.
- Save and publish.
Limitations of Google Tag Manager
- If the chat widget was installed manually and the tag was added to GTM, it is recommended that the installation code is pasted directly into HTML.
- Due to Google Tag Manager limitations, you might have to whitelist the code in you Content-Security-Policy.
- When chat is added to a site using Google Tag Manager, it won't display if someone has ad blocker switched on.
The chat status will always depend on your business hours settings (under Settings → Business Hours). Outside of business hours, the chat will show in offline mode. During your business hours, the chat will show in online mode.
Note regarding agents' profile images:
- Even if no agents are set as available for chat during business hours, the chat will still be shown in online mode, but their profile picture will have little orange circles. If agents are available, their profile images will be displayed with little green circles.
- In case that you have agents available for chat outside business hours, the chat widget will still be displayed in offline mode and the agent's profile picture will always be displayed with orange circles (regardless of their availability).
Note regarding setting a single picture for the whole team:
- For technical reasons, this is only available when updating an existing Chat integration and not when creating a new Chat integration. If you want to set a single picture for the whole team on a new Chat integration, please create the Chat without a picture first, and then go back to the Chat settings Appearance tab to upload a picture and enable this setting.
Setting yourself as available for chat
You can determine when you're available to chat with customers or not. Please note that this will not affect the overall availability of the chat - this is changed by setting up your business hours.
To set your availability, click on your name at the bottom right, and use the available for chat toggle.
There are 3 ways an agent can appear as unavailable for chat:
- If the agent marks themselves as not available for chat manually using the toggle described above.
- If the agent has closed their Gorgias tab.
- If the agent hasn't been active for more than 10 minutes.
Auto-responder for Chat
You can set automatic responses that will be sent to your customers outside of your business hours. This is a great way to let your customers know when they can receive a response from your agents. The Auto-responder can be managed in the Preferences tab of your Chat settings.
The auto-responder is not related to agent availability, but will instead behave differently depending on whether your customers are within or outside your business hours.
If a new ticket is created by a customer message and no one answers after 30 seconds, an automatic reply that you select will be sent to the customer:
If a new ticket is created by a customer message, an automatic reply will be instantaneously sent indicating when agents will be available (based on your business hours).
All messages are translated into the language used by your Chat, which you can now configure in the Appearance tab of the Chat settings.
The email capture feature will allow you to require your customers to enter their email before starting chat. This helps prevent tickets where customers leaving a message in the chat but are not reachable for follow up. It can be configured in the Preferences tab of your Chat settings.
There are three options for the email capture:
- Optional: the default option. Customers can send messages, but if they are not associated with an email address, they will be prompted to enter theirs.
- Always required: customers cannot send a chat message without entering their email address first (except if their email address is already known).
- Required outside business hours: outside of business hours, behaves like
lAlways required; during business hours, behaves like
Change email prompt message
You can change your email capture message from the default one real quick using our chat code. Here's how:
Chat view and section
Apart from being able to check your chat tickets in the Chats view, these will also appear in the Chats section on the left-hand sidebar, just above the views section. This section will appear only if you are set as available to chat and shows you chats that are assigned to you as well as any unassigned chats.
If more than 6 conversations are open (unassigned or assigned to a current agent), we only display 6 based on when the last message was sent within a chat ticket. The newest chats will be at the top of the list.
Chat assignment setting
You can use the Chat assignment setting to remove an assigned agent from a ticket if they are unavailable. For more information take a look at this article.
Send some replies!
Now that you're ready to answer your chat tickets, here are some additional cool things that you can add to your replies to spice them up!
We've added the ability for you to send messages with rich text formatting and embedded hyperlinks when replying to a chat ticket in Gorgias. The same goes for chat campaigns, of course.
When viewing a chat ticket, you will see additional buttons below your text input field that will let you insert bold, underlined, and italic text, as well as the ability to create hyperlinks, insert inline images and add emojis to your message.
Here's an example