Gorgias Chat - Installation
- Setup instructions
- Chat availability
- Auto-responder for Chat
- Email capture
- Chat view and section
- Chat assignment setting
- Send some replies!
Using our chat integration is a great way for your customers and leads to connect with your support team in real-time, without the hassle of sending an email and waiting on a reply.
To add the Gorgias chat widget to your store:
- Add a new chat integration by going to Settings → Integrations → Chat. Click '+ Add new'.
- The next page will prompt you to let us know if you want the chat widget installed on your Shopify store or on some other type of website. The installation process differs because we have a direct integration with Shopify.
- If you are on Shopify, the menu below will prompt you to pick one of the integrated stores to install your chat. There can only be one chat integration per Shopify store.
- Choose your chat's name, introduction text, colors, language. Once done simply hit 'Add new chat'.
- The next page will be the Installation page for your chat integration where you can see which Shopify store it belongs to now. Below, you will find a Custom installation menu as well, where you can grab the installation code and paste it manually on your store if you want the chat widget visible on certain pages only, for example, or if you want the chat widget installed on some other type of website (store).
- Other than Installation, here you will find the Appearance tab where you can revisit your chat widget's appearance settings.
Under Preferences you can adjust your Email Capture feature, your Auto-Responder during and outside business hours and connect your email integration to the chat as well. More on that below.
The next tab will let you set up your chat Quick Replies. Please check out this guide for more assistance on that.
You can set up Chat Campaigns on the next tab. More on those here.
Lastly, you'll find the Self-Service tab on the far right. We have moved the setup menu to its own separate page, which you will find by clicking on the green button on this tab or by following the path Settings → Self-Service under 'Automation'.
You are free to add multiple chat integrations. This is especially useful if you are managing several stores from Gorgias.
Setup instructions for Google Tag Manager
First, let's look into your Gorgias dashboard and find your Chat App ID. Please follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings → Integrations → Chat.
- Pick the integration that you want to connect and then go to Installation → Custom installation → Google Tag Manager.
- You'll find your Chat App ID on step 4. Please copy it.
Now, in Google Tag Manager:
- In Google Tag Manager, click 'Tags' on the menu.
- Click 'New' to create a new tag.
- Search for 'Gorgias Chat' and select it.
- Enter your Gorgias Chat App ID (the one we grabbed at step 3 above).
- Select 'All Pages - Page view' in the Trigger section.
- Save and publish.
Limitations of Google Tag Manager
- If the chat widget was installed manually and the tag was added to GTM, it is recommended that the installation code is pasted directly into HTML.
- Also, since Google Tag Manager has some limitations, the client might have to whitelist the code in their Content-Security-Policy. Lastly, if the shopper has ad-block activated, it might hide the chat on the store from them.
- When chat is added to a site using Google Tag Manager, it won't display if someone has ad blocker switched on.
The chat status will always depend on your business hours settings (under Settings → Business Hours). Outside of business hours, the chat will show in offline mode. During your business hours, the chat will show in online mode.
Note regarding agents' profile images:
- Even if no agents are set as available for chat during business hours, the chat will still be shown in online mode, but their profile picture will have little orange circles. If agents are available, their profile images will be displayed with little green circles.
- In case that you have agents available for chat outside business hours, the chat widget will still be displayed in offline mode and the agent's profile picture will always be displayed with orange circles (regardless of their availability).
Note regarding setting a single picture for the whole team:
This option is only available when updating an existing Chat integration, and not when creating a new Chat integration, for technical reasons. If you want to set a single picture for the whole team on a new Chat integration, please create it without it at first, and then go back to its appearance tab: you will then be able to upload a picture and enable this setting.
Setting yourself as available for chat
You can determine when you're available to chat with customers or not. Please note that this will not affect the overall availability of the chat - this is changed by setting up your business hours.
To set your availability, click on your name at the bottom right, and use the available for chat toggle.
There are 3 ways an agent can appear as unavailable for chat:
- If the agent marks themselves as not available for chat manually
- If the agent has closed their Gorgias tab
- If the agent hasn't been active for more than 10 minutes
Auto-responder for Chat
You can set automatic responses that will be sent to your customers outside of your business hours. This is a great way to let your customers know when they can receive a response from your agents.
The auto-responder is not related to the agent's availability, but will instead behave differently depending on whether you are currently within or outside of your business hours.
During business hours auto-response
If a new ticket is created by a customer message and no one answers after 30 seconds, an automatic reply will be sent to the customer, reply which you can choose among 4 options:
Outside business hours auto-response
If a new ticket is created by a customer message, an automatic reply will be instantaneously sent indicating when is the soonest time when agents will be available (based on your business hours)
All those messages are translated into the language used by your integration, which you can now configure on the “overview” or “appearance” page of each of those integrations.
The required email capture feature will allow you to prevent your customers from sending a message to your chat if they haven’t entered their email address.
This should help a lot in reducing the number of tickets where customers left after leaving a message in the chat and did not provide you with an email address you can use to contact them, thus becoming unreachable.
There are three options for the email capture:
- Optional: the default option, which is also what was enabled for now. Customers can send messages, but if they are not associated with an email address, they will be prompted to enter theirs.
- Always required: customers can never send a message without entering their email address first (except if we already have their email address).
- Required outside business hours: outside of business hours, behaves like
always required; during business hours, behaves like
Change email capture message
You can change your email capture message from the default one real quick using our chat code. Here's how:
Chat view and section
Apart from being able to check your chat tickets in the Chats view, these will also appear in the Chats section on the left-hand sidebar, just above the views section. This section will appear only if you are set as available to chat and shows you chats that are assigned to you as well as any unassigned chats.
If more than 6 conversations are open (unassigned or assigned to a current agent), we only display 6 based on when the last message was sent within a chat ticket. The newest chats will be at the top of the list.
Chat assignment setting
You can use the Chat assignment setting to remove an assigned agent from a ticket if they are unavailable. For more information take a look at this article.
Send some replies!
Now that you're ready to answer your chat tickets, here are some additional cool things that you can add to your replies to spice them up!
We've added the ability for you to send messages with rich text formatting and embedded hyperlinks when replying to a chat ticket in Gorgias. The same goes for chat campaigns, of course.
When viewing a chat ticket, you will see additional buttons below your text input field that will let you insert bold, underlined, and italic text, as well as the ability to create hyperlinks, insert inline images and add emojis to your message.
Here's a quick example: